Tuesday 9 August 2011

Mike Hinge 80th Anniversary: Roger Hines

Below is an edited version of e-mails exchanged between Roger Hines and myself. Roger is an assemblage artist and met Mike Hinge at Art College in the 60's and has kindly shared his reminiscent stories which bring wonderful insights into Mike's early work in advertising and experimental art.

See Roger's artwork here: http://www.mindspring.com/~rogerhines/
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

From: Roger Hines
Sent: 28 July 2011 22:59
To: Ivan Richards
Subject: TRIBUTE TO MIKE HINGE

Hi, I'm Roger Hines. I'm an assemblage artist and live in Manhattan.

I first met Mike in 1965 when we were attending The Art Center College of Design in Los Angeles. We also resided at the same boarding house that was run by my aunt. It was then that I became aware of Mike's fantastic work. It really inspired and influenced me as I was just beginning my art and design career. Back then, Mike was waaaaay ahead of his time. His endless child-like curiosity about everything greatly shaped his work...and others too.

Mike was a true eccentric. Really danced to his own tune. Difficult at times but he never lost his integrity. He never stopped reaching ever further into everything he touched and created.

Integrity, energy, passion, curiosity, inquiring, talented, foresighted, innocent... are but a few of the words that remind me of Mike.

Mike, Where the hell are you?...now that we REALLY need you! 



------

From: Ivan Richards
Sent: Jul 29, 2011 9:02 AM
To: Roger Hines
Subject: Re: TRIBUTE TO MIKE HINGE

Hi Roger
Thank you for your email it's great to hear from you. I'm so pleased to be hearing from friends of Mike or FOMs (as Sandy put it). I checked out your website love your "rooms of the mind".

You met Mike very early on I would be facinated to hear about the teaching of The Art Center College of Design. Apparently Mike choose the college specially when in New Zealand because a draughtsman he worked alongside had studied there. Was there a particular teacher that might have had an influence or books studied?

Your Aunt's boarding house might have been a fun place to be, i can't help thinking of your rooms of the mind! I guess you had some good nights out and interesting conversations. Mike would have been a little older than you but still young, do you remember seeing any bands with him around about that time and art shows. I have a feeling that Mike was interested in a lot of things and would have made use of that "energy, passion and curiosity" I get the impression that he had a wide interest in art and would have liked had been more involved in the fine art world as well as being an illustrator, I haven't seen any of his kinetic sculptures but I'd really hope to see one or two one day and know more about the work he did for E.A.T (experiments in art and technology). As well I know he collaborated in at least a couple of short art films. I am encouraged by your description of Mike I think he is an interesting character even though having never met him.

I notice [from your website] that you were one of the "Mad Men", do you watch the tv series? Was it like that? Did you work with Mike at that time? Apparently he worked in an ad agency in Los Angeles (I don't know which one) and he was also an art director in New york and worked at a couple of Agencies BBDO & Young and Rubicam. Do you know of any ads that he did? I sometimes trawl through ebay looking through ads from the mid 60's hoping to recognise his style. I have made a few guess' not sure if I'm right or not.

If it's okay i'd like to include your tribute on my blog, for Mike's 80th birthday (August 9th).

All the very best

Ivan

------
From: Roger Hines
Sent: 31 July 2011 06:38
To: Ivan Richards
Subject: Re: TRIBUTE TO MIKE HINGE

Hey, Ivan...Thanks for the reply back. I'll try to answer some of your questions:

Just who had influence on Mike at Art Center...I don't know. We were at ACS at different times. Art Center  emphasized a strong foundation in the "basics"...then to more "edgy". By then, you were really equipped to pushed to your limit.

Mike and I shared an apartment in Los Angeles for about a year or two. At the time, He was working as an art Director for the May Co., a large west coast retail chain store and another smaller agency I don't recall now.. I was just finishing up graduating Art Center. We never went out to hear bands but Mike had an amazing, vast music collection. A lot of it way out experimental electronica. One group in particular was a group from Germany...Musik Koncret from 1947. WOW! talk about ahead of it's time! He would be working on some of his stuff while I worked on homework assignments way into the night...listening to all kinds of music from his collections....AWESOME FUN!

Mike did a couple of kinetic sculptures which were pretty cool. Whatever happened to them, I don't know.  However, Mike was more of an illustrator than a fine artist, although he did have some aspirations in that direction. He mostly did illustrations to make a living. Some bordered on "fine art". He and I collaborated on a short film once, but it never reached completion.

The Mad Men series was fairly accurate. They were wild times. By around 1967, Mike and I were working in New York for Young and Rubicam. I worked in General advertising. Mike in point of purchase/sales promotion. He gave the look to the "Mexico Magnifico" campaign which you have a couple of images for.

Hope this helps. Stay close.

Peace and Light

Roger



------
From: Ivan Richards
Sent: Aug 1, 2011 8:27 AM
To: Roger Hines
Subject: Re: TRIBUTE TO MIKE HINGE

Hi, Roger

I'm so in awe that you and Mike had jobs as Art Directors in the 60's so amazing, thanks to Mad men I can imagine what it might have been like. I guess that all the work produced at these ad agencies wasn't allowed to be taken out of the office and taken home for the portfolio or was it less strict? Would you and Mike have kept a portfolio of published ads? Do you remember any particular clients and ads that Mike did? (...)

(...)

Thanks for pointing out that he was the ad director at May Co, i really wasn't sure if it was an outside agency or in house.

What are the differences between General advertising and point of purchase/sales promotion? Did Mike do any tv commercials?

(...)

(...), I had been hoping one day to know more about the short film's Mike worked on. Even though not complete does any footage survive of this film? Is this filmed on 16mm color film? Was it called "City"? What did you and Mike do on this film? What was it about? I would love to see this film, I'm really hoping it still exists.

All the best

Peace and light

Ivan

------
From: Roger Hines 
Sent: 02 August 2011 23:14
To: Ivan Richards
Subject: Re: TRIBUTE TO MIKE HINGE

Ivan...

When we worked for those ad agencies, we always had plenty of reprints of our work including commercials. Mike did a lot of work for Eastern Airlines when they developed the promotion "Mexico Magnifico". He did the typographic illustrations for that.

The difference between general advertising and "POP" was, general mostly consisted of TV, print ads, radio, etc. "POP" consisted of things like counter cards and displays for merchandise, kiosks, in store merchandising promotions, etc.

I'm surprised you knew about the short film Mike and I started "CITY". How did you know about that? It was never completed because Young and Rubicam transferred me to Germany. It was an animated stop motion short depicting a city building up out of brightly colored abstract shapes and blocks with wild graphics which Mike rendered. I have no way of knowing where the footage is. I believed I turned all of that over to mike. However, there is a real remote chance I may have some it stored away. (...)

Roger







No comments:

Post a Comment